Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Antidepressants Not Effective!

Hey guys!

Now here is something to blog about, eh? I just read in the Financial Times.com in England that 50 clinical trials were reviewed by psychologists from the University of Hull who found that the new generation antidepressants worked no better than a placebo - a dummy pill - for mildly depressed patients.

Wow, you have to think that this is pretty amazing. But then the article goes on to say that more natural approaches, such as taking a walk, were more effective in combating depression. Well, as a mother of two kids I can tell you the beauty of this wisdom, having seen it up close and personal. When my kids were growing up and had all that wonderful exuberance and excitement for life I sometimes found myself overwhelmed with it all. Sometimes I would tell my son "Go take yourself for a walk!" And you know something? He did. And when he came back he still had that wonderful exuberance for life but somehow it was all at a level that could be appreciated. And sometimes I would even tell myself to go take a walk. And that was one of the best possible solutions that we came up with.

And you know the best part of this? There are no black box warnings on taking a walk. "Caution: cracks in the street may be fatal." Huh? I'm thinking that if walks were taken as medicine families might even start hanging out together, or better yet, talking with one another. I don't know, but it sounds like we might be on to something here.

As I see it the view from here is pretty straight forward on the subject: Go take a walk! Who knows, you might like it. Hold on a minute, I'll just grab my sneakers and off I go. Comin'?

No comments: